Sunday, September 20, 2009

Home Improvement: The Bench


Here are a couple of before and after photos of a cute little bench that I've given a makeover.
The weather has been ideal for painting outdoors and I found the weekends the best time to work on it. This shade of green is a favorite of mine and I find myself using it in my paintings quite a bit. Now, it's the bench's turn to wear it for a while. There is an old picnic bench that is next on my list. I hope to get it done before the cool weather comes.


This is what she looked like before I fixed her up.


Cute design on the metal frame. I lightly sanded the frame with some sandpaper and steal wool before I spray painted with a lightly textured paint that required no primer.

It was very easy to take apart and I did label each slat with tape and a number so I could put each one back in its original place.


The slats were individually sanded with a sanding pad and 80 grit sanding paper. Great exercise!


Ta Da!!

Now, I should mention that The Gorilla thinks I should be cleaning the house (vacuum, bathroom, mopping....) on weekends. I have a hard time picking up the broom and mop on weekends when I would much rather be sanding and painting on projects like this.
I can never please The Gorilla.

Peace.

8 comments:

  1. That's my favorite green! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a beautiful job. I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    this is a great post. I love to see how artists re-work, and or work on projects, this is a great example of that, and it does work out the hand muscles, and the back arms as well, the outside atmosphere also creates good vitamins in the human bloodstream.

    I usually let "The Gorilla", attack and watch as it looses interest....lol

    Keep it up!
    Jesse

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah grasshopper, the Gorilla must learn to please himself. Love the bench........ inspired. Liz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for posting a comment. It's nice to know who's interested in what's going on here. Comments are appreciated very much.

    As for my Gorilla - I am grateful for his hard work and taking good care of us. I've got to give him a good squeeze and a smooch to let him know that we love him. I've also dusted and cleaned this morning for good measure. I don't like to see an angry gorilla.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks good, Anna. I have one exactly like that on my front porch. While I sip beer sitting in our new-fangled Walmart chair, I often look at it and consider just how good it would look refinished. This just may be the inspiration I need.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pat,
    It sure feels nice sitting on my newly painted bench. Hope it does inspire you to refinish yours. It didn't cost much to do-just a little sweat. Let me know if you do. I'd like to see your version.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.