Sunday, November 16, 2008

Did it myself: Furniture Repair

I've been procrastinating to do this repair. I knew I could repair our chairs, but I kept telling myself I needed to buy a strap for holding the joints tight while the glue dried. So instead of forking out 15 dollars for a strap at Home Depot I decided to make a strap with two belts. Leather worked best. 





I could have gone and bought a better glue, but this Elmer's Wood Glue will work fine. Now we don't need to buy a new dinning room set of chairs. It felt great to make this repair and I didn't have to spend a cent. 

When we move to our new place I'm going to get out my tool box and do some more simple wood projects. I love the feeling of working with wood. Especially fixing something and saving it from the dumpster. These chairs are in perfect condition except for the glue on the joints wearing out. It's nice to know that I have this skill and can use it for everyday living. 

Electricity would be a nice thing to learn how to do. It would be great to learn how to repair electrical sockets and lamp fixtures. Solar! Green energy! The old nuts and bolts in this head are starting to move again. 

11 comments:

  1. Small electrical repairs are simple these days. Illustrated instructions come with most small job parts. Just remember to flip the breaker switch! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so funny. glad to see the chairs are repaired. Elmers wood glue is the best anyway. We need to get together soon..........................Liz------------------- Come see my new converted garage bedroom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's a breaker switch? ; )

    Liz,
    Is this a DIY addition? I don't remember a garage when I last visited you. This is a surprise. I'll be right over with my tool box for any minor repairs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. electrical is not hard at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "electrical is not hard at all", says the renaissance man. I aspire to your quick knowledge of handy repairs of a lot of things.

    Smile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done! ... and not to spend a cent is always the best thing to try to. You've got great goals.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. You may not remember it 'cause it was such a dump!
    Finally a little more space but still no storage. Maritza has her own bedroom and is so happy. Matt likes having his own space too..... Right now we have a huge sliding glass door with nothing covering it. I like to sit outside and watch!!! ha ha ha. I invite Maritza's friends to sit with me ......We watch Rocky sleep. They all think I'm nuts................................ :) And what do you mean you are moving this direction? When? Hurry up!!! Where? Woohooo!!!!!!! Call me. And watch out for those racoons, they are nasty little critters. Mean, mean, mean.............Cute has hell though :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. if only people followed this kind of techniques, global credit crunch will take a punch...great blog..best of luck..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi I think it's wonderfull to have that mechanical skill and patience to work on projects. However, if it were not for your innovative creative skills you would be just like the rest....

    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ramesh,
    Nice of you to visit and comment.
    Every little bit counts and I'm not a big fan of these huge companies that take over the small towns and businesses. If I can do it myself and not spend, I am super pleased with my small foot print.

    Hello Jesse,
    I am working on my patience everyday. If everyone slowed down a little bit everyday they'd not be too quick to buy something new to replace what they can easily repair. This is why I thought I'd post photos of my repair and maybe help someone who can use a repair like this. I hope I have inspired someone to fix something for themselves.

    Liz,
    I'll be seeing you soon! With my coon hat! Nice of you to scope out the neighborhood. The neighbors are friendly and I look forward to stretching out our legs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Drove down today to check out the area. It was pretty calm, peaceful even. I think you'll love it!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.